Tomato Eggplant Zucchini Bake
Tomato, Zucchini, and Eggplant Gratin
Servings: 6 | Calories: 218 | Total Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 26mg | Sodium: 306mg | Carbohydrates: 16g | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 8g | Protein: 14g | SmartPoints: 8
- 2 medium-sized ripe tomatoes, cut into slices
- 1 medium-sized eggplant, cut into slices
- 2 medium-sized zucchini or 1 green zucchini and 1 yellow summer squash, cut into slices
- 1/8 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1-1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 1 cup milk, low-fat
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary sprigs
- 2 teaspoons thyme leaves
- 2/3 cup parmesan cheese, divided
- 2/3 cup shredded swiss cheese, divided
- 2/3 cup panko break crumbs
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a sauté pan over medium heat, add the olive oil and onions and cook for one minute. Whisk in the flour and allow to cook for one or two minutes until a golden paste forms.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Slowly, 1/4 cup at a time, gradually whisk in the milk, whisking a bit before each new 1/4 cup of milk has been added. A thick sauce should begin to form.
- Whisk in the herbs and 1/3 cup of the parmesan, and then 1/3 cup of the swiss cheese. Once fully incorporated, remove from the heat.
- Lightly grease a square or circular baking pan with olive oil or cooking spray. Sprinkle 1/3 cup of parmesan cheese on the bottom of the pan. Begin adding the vegetables so they are slightly overlapping: a slice of tomato, a slice of eggplant, a slice of zucchini and so forth, repeating in a circle or square. Repeat the pattern on the inside and then add any vegetables to fill in the middle.
- Spoon half of the sauce over the vegetables, spreading evenly. Repeat the layer of vegetables, and spread the rest of the sauce over this top layer of vegetables. Sprinkle on the remaining swiss cheese and the panko breadcrumbs. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with pepper.
- Bake in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes, or until vegetables are cooked through and the cheese is bubbly.
Video: How To Make Zucchini and Tomato Casserole
Top 10 Street Style Trends from SS 2019 Fashion Weeks
Strawberry and Ricotta Trifle Recipe
How to Help a Dog Suffering from Trauma
How to Highlight Dark Hair
Menswear Collaborations To Look Out For This Autumn
How To Simplify Your Anti-Aging Routine
The Time for Crying is Over—Senator Kirsten Gillibrand Wants You to Run for Office Instead
How to see the need for change
How to Get a Cheap Divorce
How to Eat Healthy at a Thai Restaurant
25 Inverted Bob Haircuts
How to Keep Ducks Out of a Pool
This Guy Is Suing His Ex Fiancée For Not Giving Back Her Engagement Ring After Their Breakup